I’ve had a couple of people ask me for our homemade pretzel recipe, so I thought I’d share. Apparently, snacks (with minimal fighting while being made) are a sure hit with moms. I’m not surprised.
The recipe I use is really easy, but it does involve my most favorite appliance ever – the bread maker. If you don’t have a bread maker, I’m not sure how it’s going to turn out, but you can always give it a shot an let me know. Ready? Here we go.
Homemade Pretzel Dough
4 cups of bread flour
3 teaspoons yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1 egg, beaten
Coarse salt for sprinkling
- Put all of the ingredients except for the egg and coarse salt into the bread maker pan.
- Set your bread machine to the “Dough” setting and press start.
- When the timer goes off (ours is done in 90 minutes), remove the dough and roll it into two large logs on a lightly floured rolling surface.
- Cut each log into 12 pieces.
- Roll each piece out with your hands and shape into a pretzel.
- Brush lightly with egg wash and sprinkle coarse salt on top.
- Cook for 15 minutes in a pre-heated 450 degree F oven.
That’s it! Simple, but it does take time to make them. It’s nice knowing all of the ingredients though and it makes you feel a little less guilty about an afternoon snack.